Wednesday, March 28, 2012

Install of SQL Server 2000 dev edition over MSDE. Any advice appreciated.

It's arriving from ebuyer tomorrow for 32 quid. I already have an
instance of MSDE running on the laptop and ideally i would like SQL
server to be installed and use the current instance and not install
any other additional services. [hope i got my terminology correct
here.] Basically all i would like is to use the Enterprise Manager
with my existing MSDE database. I was wondering if there is anything i
should be doing before I install. Should i shut down the service or
leave it running for instance.

Thanks for any tips,
AndyB"Andy B" <coastalrocket@.yahoo.co.uk> wrote in message
news:f1523bf.0407290650.46b411b8@.posting.google.co m...
> It's arriving from ebuyer tomorrow for 32 quid. I already have an
> instance of MSDE running on the laptop and ideally i would like SQL
> server to be installed and use the current instance and not install
> any other additional services. [hope i got my terminology correct
> here.] Basically all i would like is to use the Enterprise Manager
> with my existing MSDE database. I was wondering if there is anything i
> should be doing before I install. Should i shut down the service or
> leave it running for instance.
> Thanks for any tips,
> AndyB

You could install only the client tools, if that's all you want (don't
forget to install SP3a as well). Or you can install Developer Edition
anyway, as a named instance - you don't have to start it if you don't need
it.

Simon|||"Simon Hayes" <sql@.hayes.ch> wrote in message news:<41093871$1_2@.news.bluewin.ch>...
> "Andy B" <coastalrocket@.yahoo.co.uk> wrote in message
> news:f1523bf.0407290650.46b411b8@.posting.google.co m...
> > It's arriving from ebuyer tomorrow for 32 quid. I already have an
> > instance of MSDE running on the laptop and ideally i would like SQL
> > server to be installed and use the current instance and not install
> > any other additional services. [hope i got my terminology correct
> > here.] Basically all i would like is to use the Enterprise Manager
> > with my existing MSDE database. I was wondering if there is anything i
> > should be doing before I install. Should i shut down the service or
> > leave it running for instance.
> > Thanks for any tips,
> > AndyB
> You could install only the client tools, if that's all you want (don't
> forget to install SP3a as well). Or you can install Developer Edition
> anyway, as a named instance - you don't have to start it if you don't need
> it.
> Simon

Thanks Simon. I did just that.

No comments:

Post a Comment