Friday, March 30, 2012

Install Problems with Report Server

I want to install Reporting Services to find out about how it works, but I'm
having problems.
I tried to install it on my Windows XP workstation to run with MSDE but got
the message:
"This edition of the Report Server Database is not supported on the edition
of SQL Server 2000 you have chosen. Please choose another SQL Server that
matches the requirements."
I therefore specified the name of one of our test servers running SQL Server
2000 and was able to proceed.
When I got to the screen that specified the "Server Farm" it asked for the
name of an existing install of Reporting Services. Since I don't already
have an existing install I left it empty, but was told I was unable to
proceed with the install unless I enter a value. I therefore named the
server I just was installing to.
When the install finished I got a message saying it wasn't possible to
initialise the report server and this would have to be done manually.
I tried connecting to the ReportServer web site but got the message:
The report server installation is not initialized. Check the documentation
for more information. (rsReportServerNotActivated) Get Online
Help -2147159550
I followed the instructions for manually activating the report server using
the reactivate utiltity, but when I tried to activate the server I got the
message:
"Failure obtaining information from remote WMI provider: Unable to find
Reporting Services WMI namespace on 192.111.1.224. Reporting Services may
not be installed."
How can I get Reporting Services running?You somehow got into the installation for a web farm. In a web farm you have
several RS servers all using the same database. That is definitely not what
you are doing. There is a readme file that explains how to install using the
commandline. When you have the database on a different server than Reporting
Services you need to use the commandline. Note that you will need to specify
an account that has admin priveleges with the database.
Bruce Loehle-Conger
MVP SQL Server Reporting Services
"Robert Jones" <robert.jones@.btopenworld.com> wrote in message
news:ukytYm7YFHA.980@.TK2MSFTNGP12.phx.gbl...
>I want to install Reporting Services to find out about how it works, but
>I'm having problems.
> I tried to install it on my Windows XP workstation to run with MSDE but
> got the message:
> "This edition of the Report Server Database is not supported on the
> edition of SQL Server 2000 you have chosen. Please choose another SQL
> Server that matches the requirements."
> I therefore specified the name of one of our test servers running SQL
> Server 2000 and was able to proceed.
> When I got to the screen that specified the "Server Farm" it asked for the
> name of an existing install of Reporting Services. Since I don't already
> have an existing install I left it empty, but was told I was unable to
> proceed with the install unless I enter a value. I therefore named the
> server I just was installing to.
> When the install finished I got a message saying it wasn't possible to
> initialise the report server and this would have to be done manually.
> I tried connecting to the ReportServer web site but got the message:
> The report server installation is not initialized. Check the documentation
> for more information. (rsReportServerNotActivated) Get Online
> Help -2147159550
> I followed the instructions for manually activating the report server
> using the reactivate utiltity, but when I tried to activate the server I
> got the message:
> "Failure obtaining information from remote WMI provider: Unable to find
> Reporting Services WMI namespace on 192.111.1.224. Reporting Services may
> not be installed."
> How can I get Reporting Services running?
>
>

No comments:

Post a Comment