Wednesday, March 28, 2012

install Office ifilter on SQL Server 2005

Hi there
I might be being dense, but I can't seem to get the Full Text Search
service working for office type documents. The service works OK for
text and RTF files, so I know that the Full Text indexing service is
there, but just doesn't seem to be working for Office docs -
specifially Word .doc files.
Digging a little deeper, it seems that the relevant ifilter isn't
installed. When I run
select * from sys.fulltext_document_types
I get the list of document types that can be indexed and searched by
SQL server 2005. For .the .rtf entry, I get a path of
c:\Program Files\Microsoft SQL Server\MSSQL.1\MSSQL\Binn\msfte.dll
for the ifilter, version 12.0.6214.0 which is where I would expect it
to be (ie I can see the msfte.dll file in the Binn directory).
For the .doc entry, I get a path of
c:\Program Files\Microsoft SQL Server\MSSQL.1\MSSQL\Binn\offfilt.dll
for the ifilter, but no version number, and when I look at the Binn
directory, the file is not there.
Is there any way I can install the office ifilter on SQL server 2005?
Note that this is a database server so does not have IIS, Sharepoint,
Desktop search or any other search mechanism installed. I would like
the entire office doc search facility to be confined to the SQL server
2005 installation if possible - and from the path specified in the
fulltext_document_types view I take it that it should work this way.
Any help / pointers would be very gratefully received.
Thanks is advance
Jeremy
Hi Jeremy. I see the same thing on my machine, but it does work on my
machine.
Basically you will find the iFilter in %windir%\system32 which is likely
c:\Windows\System32. I am not sure why it refers to this location. You will
find that the persistent handler associated with the .doc extension points
here.
Can you check your Word Docs to make sure that they are not saved in the
fast save format? the Office iFilter does not understand this format.
Also download filtdump from the platform sdk and run your word docs through
this to make sure the iFilter understands them.
Hilary Cotter
Looking for a SQL Server replication book?
http://www.nwsu.com/0974973602.html
Looking for a FAQ on Indexing Services/SQL FTS
http://www.indexserverfaq.com
"Jeremy Holland" <jeremy.holland@.konetic.com> wrote in message
news:1165402032.796856.43690@.l12g2000cwl.googlegro ups.com...
> Hi there
> I might be being dense, but I can't seem to get the Full Text Search
> service working for office type documents. The service works OK for
> text and RTF files, so I know that the Full Text indexing service is
> there, but just doesn't seem to be working for Office docs -
> specifially Word .doc files.
> Digging a little deeper, it seems that the relevant ifilter isn't
> installed. When I run
> select * from sys.fulltext_document_types
> I get the list of document types that can be indexed and searched by
> SQL server 2005. For .the .rtf entry, I get a path of
> c:\Program Files\Microsoft SQL Server\MSSQL.1\MSSQL\Binn\msfte.dll
> for the ifilter, version 12.0.6214.0 which is where I would expect it
> to be (ie I can see the msfte.dll file in the Binn directory).
> For the .doc entry, I get a path of
> c:\Program Files\Microsoft SQL Server\MSSQL.1\MSSQL\Binn\offfilt.dll
> for the ifilter, but no version number, and when I look at the Binn
> directory, the file is not there.
> Is there any way I can install the office ifilter on SQL server 2005?
> Note that this is a database server so does not have IIS, Sharepoint,
> Desktop search or any other search mechanism installed. I would like
> the entire office doc search facility to be confined to the SQL server
> 2005 installation if possible - and from the path specified in the
> fulltext_document_types view I take it that it should work this way.
> Any help / pointers would be very gratefully received.
> Thanks is advance
> Jeremy
>
|||Hi Hilary
Thanks for your reply - I'll try as you suggest.
Jeremy
|||Hi Hilary
Thanks for that - I registered the OS ifilters and ignored that view as
you suggested.
It seems to work fine now with Word docs - thanks a lot for that.
Jeremy
Jeremy Holland wrote:

> Hi Hilary
> Thanks for your reply - I'll try as you suggest.
> Jeremy

No comments:

Post a Comment