Monday, March 26, 2012

Install New Instance/ Store Data & Log Files in existing drive

Hello,
I need to install a new instance of SQL Server 2000 on a cluster.
Currently, we have three instances. Each instances stores program files on
the E:\ Drive. Each instance has its own drive for data and another for
logs. However, there is no more unallocated space on the array to create
another partitioned drive.
My question is: If I create the new instance, can I store the data and log
files on an existing drive? Are there any performance or overhead costs that
should be considered?
Thank you,
Caroline
Each instance must have separate disk resources from any other instances.
You will need new disks to create another instance.
Geoff N. Hiten
Senior Database Administrator
Microsoft SQL Server MVP
"Caroline" <Caroline@.community.nospam> wrote in message
news:4E870F35-33B9-4E92-91E6-1993FD8FE4C4@.microsoft.com...
> Hello,
> I need to install a new instance of SQL Server 2000 on a cluster.
> Currently, we have three instances. Each instances stores program files
> on
> the E:\ Drive. Each instance has its own drive for data and another for
> logs. However, there is no more unallocated space on the array to create
> another partitioned drive.
> My question is: If I create the new instance, can I store the data and
> log
> files on an existing drive? Are there any performance or overhead costs
> that
> should be considered?
> Thank you,
> Caroline
sql

No comments:

Post a Comment