Wednesday, March 28, 2012

install of Report Designer onto a machine w/just VS 03 & VB.Net

Hi:
I recently got Reporting Services and am trying to install it. Microsoft's
web site says:
Additional Software Required to Use Specific Features in Reporting Services
a.. Microsoft Visual Studio® .NET 2003 (any edition) or the standard edition
of Visual Basic® .NET, Visual C#® .NET, Visual C++® .NET Standard, or Visual
J#® .NET to use Report Designer. Report Designer can be installed on the
same computer as Report Server components or on a separate computer.
I have the SQL Server on one box, I put most of Reporting Services on
another box (our web server), and I'm trying to put the Report Designer on
my machine.
I have VS 03, with just VB.net, installed on my machine now. It was a
discount version, and didn't have db access wizards, nor any other
languages. It's been ok because I just used System.Data.SqlClient and
System.Data.SqlTypes, etc, to specify my db access, and manually coded the
interfaces and was able to connect fine.
So I'm trying to install Reporting Services - and just the Report designer,
onto my machine so I can author a report or two without writing raw XML.
When I run the install CD I get all sorts of errors IIS not installed, etc,
etc.Where can I get some specific, applicable instructions on doing this
install ?
ThanksI think your problem is that you are trying to install the server and the
client tools. When you install just the client tools you should not be
getting any errors about IIS (IIS is not required for the development
environment).
Bruce L-C
"steve" <steve@.earthlink.net> wrote in message
news:uufO0khiEHA.632@.TK2MSFTNGP12.phx.gbl...
> Hi:
> I recently got Reporting Services and am trying to install it. Microsoft's
> web site says:
> Additional Software Required to Use Specific Features in Reporting
Services
> a.. Microsoft Visual Studio® .NET 2003 (any edition) or the standard
edition
> of Visual Basic® .NET, Visual C#® .NET, Visual C++® .NET Standard, or
Visual
> J#® .NET to use Report Designer. Report Designer can be installed on the
> same computer as Report Server components or on a separate computer.
> I have the SQL Server on one box, I put most of Reporting Services on
> another box (our web server), and I'm trying to put the Report Designer on
> my machine.
> I have VS 03, with just VB.net, installed on my machine now. It was a
> discount version, and didn't have db access wizards, nor any other
> languages. It's been ok because I just used System.Data.SqlClient and
> System.Data.SqlTypes, etc, to specify my db access, and manually coded the
> interfaces and was able to connect fine.
> So I'm trying to install Reporting Services - and just the Report
designer,
> onto my machine so I can author a report or two without writing raw XML.
> When I run the install CD I get all sorts of errors IIS not installed,
etc,
> etc.Where can I get some specific, applicable instructions on doing this
> install ?
> Thanks
>
>sql

No comments:

Post a Comment