Friday, March 30, 2012

Install regular SQL Server Management Studio over SQL Server Mangement Studio Express (SSMSE)

I installed SQL Server 2005 Express edition with the SQL Server Mangement Studio Express (SSMSE) on my work laptop. When I tried to manage the SQL Server 2005 instances on our servers, I couldn't expand/drill down on the DB Maintenance Plan. This prompted me to find out that this may be one of the features that are lacking in the "Express" version of the SSMS. Therefore I'm in the process of finding a way to 'upgrade' my SSMSE to regular SSMS.

I popped the installation disc of "SQL Server 2005 Standard Edition" and there are client tools/components that I can install which I believe SSMS (Management Studio) is part of it. However when I clicked through the wizard I was told that all the components are already installed and the wizard couldn't go any further.

Is there a way for me to install a regular version of SSMS over my existing SSMSE? Do I have to remove SSMSE first?

Please advise,

Thanks.

The easy thing to do is to remove SSMSE first -as you questioned. Then install SSMS.|||Tip: If you have installed SSMS and then no need to install SSMSE as you can manage Express edition with SSMS alone.|||

Maintenance plans require SQL Agent to be installed on the server machine. SQL Agent doesn't come with SQL Server Express so Management Studio doesn't show maintenance plans when connected to a SQL Server Express server. If you connect to Developer, Workgroup, Standard or Enterprise, you'll see the Maintenance plans folder for those server types in regular SSMS.

Hope this helps,
Steve

|||

No comments:

Post a Comment