Friday, March 30, 2012

Install Question

Hello, if my company owns 6 processor licenses for Sql Server, am I able to
utilize Reporting Services or is their a separate license?Whether you need another license depends if you are installing RS on a box
that has SQL Server DB installed on it. You need a license for the box which
has RS installed. For instance, let's say I have a web farm with 3 IIS
servers all of which are using a single DB on another box. I need an
additional 3 SQL Server server licenses.
On the other hand, if I have IIS and RS running on the same box as SQL
Server DB, then RS falls under the license for the DB.
Bruce Loehle-Conger
MVP SQL Server Reporting Services
"tcs" <tcs@.discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
news:D677E056-F2A3-4373-812B-38480F0B0F39@.microsoft.com...
> Hello, if my company owns 6 processor licenses for Sql Server, am I able
> to
> utilize Reporting Services or is their a separate license?|||Right, so if I split out RS onto a different box, I am ok as long as I have a
license to cover it. So right now if we have 6 enterprise licenses, i could
farm it out over two boxes if desired?
"Bruce L-C [MVP]" wrote:
> Whether you need another license depends if you are installing RS on a box
> that has SQL Server DB installed on it. You need a license for the box which
> has RS installed. For instance, let's say I have a web farm with 3 IIS
> servers all of which are using a single DB on another box. I need an
> additional 3 SQL Server server licenses.
> On the other hand, if I have IIS and RS running on the same box as SQL
> Server DB, then RS falls under the license for the DB.
>
> --
> Bruce Loehle-Conger
> MVP SQL Server Reporting Services
> "tcs" <tcs@.discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> news:D677E056-F2A3-4373-812B-38480F0B0F39@.microsoft.com...
> > Hello, if my company owns 6 processor licenses for Sql Server, am I able
> > to
> > utilize Reporting Services or is their a separate license?
>
>|||Definitely. What are you are talking about is a web farm. Several IIS
servers all using the same database for its object caching and metadata
storage. This is an enterprise feature. You need to have a SQL Server
Enterprise license for each IIS box that is running Reporting Services.
Bruce Loehle-Conger
MVP SQL Server Reporting Services
"tcs" <tcs@.discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
news:DFA03ABE-38AE-4CD3-B681-7535DF67A8DB@.microsoft.com...
> Right, so if I split out RS onto a different box, I am ok as long as I
> have a
> license to cover it. So right now if we have 6 enterprise licenses, i
> could
> farm it out over two boxes if desired?
>
> "Bruce L-C [MVP]" wrote:
>> Whether you need another license depends if you are installing RS on a
>> box
>> that has SQL Server DB installed on it. You need a license for the box
>> which
>> has RS installed. For instance, let's say I have a web farm with 3 IIS
>> servers all of which are using a single DB on another box. I need an
>> additional 3 SQL Server server licenses.
>> On the other hand, if I have IIS and RS running on the same box as SQL
>> Server DB, then RS falls under the license for the DB.
>>
>> --
>> Bruce Loehle-Conger
>> MVP SQL Server Reporting Services
>> "tcs" <tcs@.discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
>> news:D677E056-F2A3-4373-812B-38480F0B0F39@.microsoft.com...
>> > Hello, if my company owns 6 processor licenses for Sql Server, am I
>> > able
>> > to
>> > utilize Reporting Services or is their a separate license?
>>sql

No comments:

Post a Comment